Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

We treat all unaccompanied asylum-seeking and refugee children as children in need.

You'll have the same rights and entitlements as any other child in need in Hertfordshire.

Unaccompanied asylum seekers over 18 are not automatically entitled to health care or education.


Education, training and employmentWe'll provide all unaccompanied asylum-seeking children with appropriate education, training and employment training opportunities, the same as any other young person.

That includes developing your written and spoken English, cooking, budgeting (where appropriate).

We'll provide you with an appropriate school or college place within 20 days of you being referred to us up to the age of 18.


Accommodation and housingWe'll make sure all unaccompanied asylum-seeking and refugee children have somewhere suitable and safe to stay.

If we think a residential placement is best, we'll make sure things like interpreters and dietary, cultural and religious needs are provided for.

If you have status, you will be able to access the housing needs register. If you move into local authority or housing association accommodation at 18, then receive an adverse decision on your status, you will lose access to public funds and housing services. Your personal advisor will then support you in the next steps.


Health and happinessWe'll make sure all unaccompanied asylum-seeking and refugee children get the health care and emotional support they need.

If you're a child in care or under 21 years old and are in education you'll be entitled to medical treatment on the NHS. If you're Appeal Rights Exhausted they can't access medical treatment.

If you're under 18, we'll also make sure you can take part in leisure activities and get involved with their community.

We'll help you trace family members who might be living in the UK. If you want to trace family members in another country, we'll help you get support from specialist tracing organisations.

Main types of status

Refugee status

Refugee status is awarded to someone the Home Office recognises as a refugee, as described in the Refugee Convention. A person given refugee status is normally granted leave to remain in the UK for 5 years, and at the end of that period can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Indefinite leave to remain

A form of immigration status given by the Home Office. Indefinite leave to remain is also called ‘permanent residence’ or ‘settled status’ as it gives permission to stay in the UK on a permanent basis.

Discretionary leave

A form of immigration status granted to a person who the Home Office has decided does not qualify for refugee status or humanitarian protection, but where there are other strong reasons why the person needs to stay in the UK temporarily.

More terms and definitions
(from the Refugee Council)

Rate this page