This free optional service means once you let a department know about a death, with your permission, they'll let other departments you need to contact know too.

During your appointment registering a death

The Registrar will give you a unique reference number along with contact details for the Department for Work and Pensions. You can then access the Tell Us Once programme from home by phone or online.

Who they can notify

After you've registered a death the Tell Us Once can notify the following departments:

  • Adult services
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Blue Badge parking permit
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Children's services
  • Council housing
  • Council tax
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Electoral services
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Library services
  • Overseas Health Team
  • Owe payments to council
  • Passport Service
  • Tax Help for Older People
  • Working Tax Credit.

Tell Us Once will pass details to these departments on your behalf; the departments you've chosen to notify will contact you directly if they need any more information.


Ask a registrations professional