Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

Health and happiness – young people leaving care


Care Leavers Health Service

Contact our Care Leavers Health Service to get information and practical help with:

  • your health and happiness
  • smoking, drugs and alcohol
  • sexual health and relationships, including contraception advice
  • diet and healthy eating
  • dentists or opticians
  • immunisations – your GP holds records of what immunisations you've had.  But if you have trouble getting this information, we'll try to help.

And if we can’t help directly, we'll find out who can.

Care Leavers Health Service

01438 843004

Our office hours: 9am – 5pm (Mon to Fri)


Find your local GP surgery and register, if you haven't already.

Mental health

There's help out there if you need a little extra support.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

CAMHS work with children and young people with mental health problems. Ask your worker about how CAMHS could help you.

Community Mental Health ServicesSimilar to CAMHS but they work with adults (18+). Normally, your GP would refer you but you can refer yourself.

Kooth.comFree online counselling for 10–25 year olds living in Hertfordshire.

Trained counsellors are online every day of the year until 10pm.

You can talk about any issues affecting you and there's also an anonymous forum so you can discuss things with people your age too.


Safe Space’s mentoring and brief therapy offer

Brief therapy and the Safe Space mentoring programme are available to 11 – 19 year olds  (up to 25 years for those with learning difficulties or disabilities).


Smoking, drugs and alcohol

A-DASH is the Adolescent Drug and Alcohol Service in Hertfordshire.

They're a free and confidential service for anyone under 18 in Hertfordshire who has issues with their own drug or alcohol use.

If you want to quit, A-DASH can help.

Phone: 01992 531917

Text: 0777 053 7227


Open 9am – 4.30pm (Mon–Fri).

Even if you're not sure, give A-DASH a call for a chat.

If you need to speak to someone when A-DASH is closed, we recommend:

Talk to Frank

0800 77 66 00

Young parents

If you're pregnant and you're not sure what to do, don't worry in silence.

Speak to your GP or social worker. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to them, try: 

The Brook Advisory serviceFree confidential advice, information and counselling on pregnancy, termination and contraception for young people under 25.

Unaccompanied Asylum Seekers

Unaccompanied asylum-seeking and refugee children have the same rights to health care as any other children in need.

We'll make sure they get the health care and emotional support they need.

They're entitled to medical treatment on the NHS if they're a child in care under 21 years old and are in education. under 18 years old. If they are ARE (Appeal Rights Exhausted ) they cannot access medical treatment.