Smoke alarms – they're not an early warning, they’re your only warning.
Includes seasonal tips for staying safe.
Injuries and deaths can be prevented if you fit your home with a smoke alarm.
You can buy one for about £5 from any good electrical or DIY shop. Make sure it meets British Standards and displays the Kitemark logo.
7 smoke alarm tips
- Fit your smoke alarm at least 30 cms (12 inches) away from any wall or light fitting and as close to the centre of the room, hallway or landing as possible.
- Don't fit a smoke alarm in the kitchen or bathroom as cooking fumes or steam may trigger it.
- Don't fit a smoke alarm in the garage where exhaust fumes are likely to set it off.
- If your home is on 1 level, fit at least one alarm in the hallway between the bedroom and the exit.
- If your home is on more than 1 level, fit at least one alarm at the bottom of the stairs, with additional alarms on each upstairs landing.
- Check your smoke alarm every month.
- Change the battery every year, vacuum and wipe the casing and slots (unless you have a 10 year battery).
We can check your smoke detector’s working or fit a new one for free, if you need it.
For some detectors fitted by HFRS please view the manufacturers troubleshooting guide before contacting us.
For information on other makes of smoke detection, please contact your supplier.