Find out about our 20 year waste management plan and keep track of how we're doing. For older copies of any of these documents, please contact us.
Closed Circuit Television Cameras (CCTV) and Automatic Number Plate Recognition System (ANPR) operate at all Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) in Hertfordshire.
These are used:
- For personal safety on site of public and staff.
- To monitor access to the sites and ensure their security.
- To deter illegal deposit of commercial waste.
- For the prevention and detection of crime such as site break ins
- To monitor excessive/frequent users and enforce the van permit scheme.
- To monitor traffic congestion.
- To manage the disposal of waste in the most cost effective way.
- To help determine waste levels entering the site.
- To provide site usage data.
This will ensure that the HWRCs are available for your household waste as intended under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. From time to time operatives on the sites may use Body Worn Video Cameras (BWVs) in order to record exchanges with individuals on site. Operatives must warn you verbally if they are using a BWV as they start recording.
How does this affect me?
The data recorded by the CCTV and ANPR systems will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1988.
Any images captured will be held for 31 days then deleted as normal practice, but will be retained if they are required for an investigation:
- Images required for criminal proceedings. Will be kept for the time period required to pursue and resolve the criminal proceedings.
- Images linked to a personal injury claim (e.g. trip or fall on site) will be retained for three years from cause, accident or from injury noted.
- Images linked to damage of property (e.g. site users vehicle being damaged by site equipment) will be retained for six years from cause.
For more information see the Surveillence Camera Policy (PDF 301Kb) Opening in a new window
Our waste management strategy outlines our current position, our future objectives and how we plan to deliver them.
This document sets out an assessment of desirable new and improved waste management facilities required in Hertfordshire over the period to 2031 and beyond.
Local Authority Collected Waste Spatial Strategy (Nov 2016)
Spatial Strategy Recycling Centre Annex (Nov 2017)
Appendix 3 – individual recycling centre details