Commercial waste


Our commercial waste centre is closed until further notice

We'll keep this under review based on government advice. Check our service updates.


Where and when can I use the service?

St Albans Depot

Sandridge Gate Business Centre
Ronson Way
Off St Albans Road
St Albans

Show me on a map

The service is available every Monday, Thursday and Friday, excluding Bank Holidays.

Summer opening times:      
1 April – 30 September from 10.30am - 4.30pm

Winter opening times:        
1 October – 31 March from 8.30am - 3.30pm

When you arrive, please report to a member of staff at the household waste recycling centre next door.

Please allow enough time to unload your waste before the site closes.


How much does it cost and how can I pay?

Prices (including VAT)

We charge more for mixed loads - for a lower price, please sort your recyclable waste before you get here.


VehicleNon recyclable / green wasteWood and timberConstruction, demolition and excavation waste (hardcore, rubble and soil)Plasterboard

Small car





Large car
(Estate, MPV, 4x4 or small trailer 1.5m x 1.5m)





Small van
(VW Caddie and/or large trailer)





Large van
(SWB, single wheel axle or braked trailer i.e. Transit type vehicle)





Large van up to 3 tonnes





Large van
(i.e Luton, Hightop LWB)





Please pay before you deposit your waste.
We only accept payment by Visa debit or credit card.


What materials can I recycle here?

The site gatekeeper has discretion over the quantities and type of material that can be disposed of.

Materials we accept

  • Cans
  • Garden waste
  • Glass
  • Inert waste
  • Non-recyclable waste
  • Paper and cardboard
  • Plasterboard
  • Plastic bottles
  • Scrap metal
  • Wood and timber

Materials we don't accept

  • Asbestos
  • Bags of plaster
  • Clinical waste
  • Gas cylinders
  • Hazardous waste
  • Motor vehicles and tyres
  • Waste electrical and electronic equipment


Are there any height or weight restrictions on site?

There are no height restrictions at our household waste recycling centres. There is a vehicle weight limit of 3.5 tonnes. We can't accommodate larger vehicles.


What information and documents do I need to provide?

Do I need a van permit?

If you are using the Commercial Waste Service at St Albans, you do not need a van permit. This includes householders who are disposing of construction, demolition and excavation waste above the accepted limit for Household Waste Recycling Centres.


Householders with waste above the accepted limit for construction, demolition & excavation material (DIY waste) at our Household Waste Recycling Centres

As the waste is from your own home, you do not have to provide any paperwork when you bring it to site, however please note that charges will apply as indicated.


A member of staff will ask you to provide a valid waste carrier's licence. This is a legal requirement and we could issue a fine of up to £5,000 to any business not registered. You can get a licence from the environmental agency.

When visiting the site, we'll need the following information so that we can complete a waste transfer note:

  • type of waste
  • type of premises where waste is produced
  • how it is contained
  • quantity of waste
  • name of person disposing the waste
  • name and address of company
  • address waste was collected from
  • waste carrier licence number
  • vehicle registration number
  • date and time of transfer.

We'll give you a copy of the waste transfer note. Please keep this for your own records.


Who do I contact for more information?

Please contact our contractors, Amey, on:

0300 1234 051 (option 1)