As a parent or guardian you have the right to educate your child at home in the way you feel suits them best as long as you comply with Section 7 of the Education Act 1996.

Educating your child at home form


Section 7 of the Education Act 1996 states that the parent of every child of compulsory school age shall cause him to receive efficient full-time education suitable to;

  • his age, ability and aptitude and 
  • to any special educational needs he may have, either by regular attendance at school or otherwise.

Please read our Information for Parents, which you may find helpful. For further information please read our Policy and Procedures document.

There are also a number of independent organisations who can give advice and resources including:


Off site visits - information for schools (The Grid)

Contact us

If you have any questions after reading our Information for parents and Policy and Procedures documents call 0300 123 4043 to speak to a member of the Elective Home Education Team.