Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council


You'll need to contact some schools direct

Check which schools currently have vacancies


Make an application

You can make an in year application to us for most schools in Hertfordshire. You can list up to 4 school preferences. If places are available, we'll offer you the highest preference possible.


Before you start...

There are 4 steps to apply: 

1. Create an account.

2. Login and apply for a new school place.

Some schools do their own admissions. You need to apply direct to these schools. You will not be able to choose these schools on this application process.

For schools outside Hertfordshire, contact the relevant school or local authority.

3. Attach your proof of address to your application.

4. Check if the school needs extra information. Some academies, voluntary aided and foundation schools need you to complete an extra form and return it direct to the school. This is often called a Supplementary Information Form.


We'll let you know if you're successful within 2–3 weeks (10–15 school days), once we receive your application, proof of address and any additional documents needed.

You need to accept or decline any place offered



Adopted children

All children adopted from care (from a local authority in England or Wales) who are of compulsory school age are eligible for admission under Rule 1.

Children in the process of being placed for adoption are classified by law as children looked after, providing there is a Placement Order. The application would be prioritised under Rule 1.

Children who weren't “looked after” immediately before being adopted, or made the subject of a child arrangement order or special guardianship order, will not be prioritised under Rule 1. Applications made for these children, with suitable supporting professional evidence, can be considered under Rule 2.

Children with special educational needs

If your child has a statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan that names a specific school, your child’s application will be handled by our Special Needs Team.

If you do not hold a full British citizen passport or have a UK passport describing you as a British citizen with the right or abode

Please note that freedom of movement into the UK for European Economic Area and Swiss citizens ended at the end of 2020. EEA (Irish citizens aside) and Swiss national children entering the UK after the end of 2020 are now treated the same as other foreign nationals. This means they will no longer have the right to enter the country to access a state-funded school unless they fall within certain immigration categories.

Check your visa status to ensure your child is entitled to a place in a state school before you apply.

Children taught in a different year group

Your child’s application will be assessed based on their date of birth.

If your child is currently being taught in a different year group and you want that to continue, send us supporting evidence from a professional (for example, your child's teacher or Head of Year). This needs to show why your child needs to be educated in a different year group.

You can scan or take a digital photo of your documents and email them to


We only agree these cases in exceptional circumstances. We can't guarantee to offer your child a place in the same year group and if your request is upheld, there is no guarantee that an offer will be made at the preferred school(s).


Summer born delayed applications (Children born between 1 April – 31 August 2014 for entry into the Reception year group only)

If your child was born 1 April 2014 - 31 August 2014, you may have delayed your child starting school in the Reception year group in their chronological school year group. In other words, instead of your child starting school in the academic year of 2018/19, you are applying for your child to start school in the academic year of 2019/20. If you have delayed entry under the summer born policy and are instead applying for a place in the Reception year group in the academic year 2019/20, please complete an In Year application form. To accompany your application, please e-mail to confirm the above.

Which address to use

Use your child’s current permanent address when you apply. If you're moving in the near future, the application form will also ask for your child's new address.

Email us your proof of address

We need 2 documents showing your current address. At least one of them needs to be a council tax bill, utility bill, solicitor’s letter upon completion (exchange of contracts not accepted) or a signed tenancy agreement.

If you're moving, we also need proof of your new address. This should be either a tenancy agreement showing the start date of the tenancy or a solicitor’s letter confirming the completion date. We won't use the new address until we have proof that the child is living there permanently.

If you're moving to a rented property, send us evidence that you've sold or are in the process of selling your current property, or that your current lease agreement has ended.

You can scan or take a digital photo of your documents and email them to

You must also send us proof that you and your child live at the new address.

It's not enough to simply change your address on your online application.

We can’t process your application without proof of address.

Children living at more than one address

If your child lives at more than one address (for example, due to parents separating), use the address where your child lives for most of the time.

If your child lives at 2 addresses equally, use the address of the parent who claims the Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit.

Addresses of UK service personnel and crown servants

If you're employed as UK service personnel or crown servants, once you've applied online, send us an official letter from either:

  • Ministry of Defence (MOD)
  • Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
  • Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ).

The letter must give your relocation date and a unit postal or quartering address in Hertfordshire.

Your application will be processed in advance of your move and a school place offered (as long as it's within a reasonable time).



Schools that handle their own in year admissions

The schools listed below handle their own in year admissions and accept applications for an in year place direct. You can view the school in year rules and form by clicking on their link in the list below.

If the school have not provided an in year form, you can use our Non-coordinating schools admissions form to apply and return it to them direct.

Schools that handle their own in year applications

You should apply direct to the following schools.

Primary, infant and junior schools (Reception to Year 6)

Secondary and upper schools (Years 7 – 11)


Governors at these schools are responsible for allocating school places.



If a school has more vacancies than applications, your child will be offered a place. If the school has more applications than places available, admission rules are used to decide the order that applicants are offered places.

If a school has a vacancy when you apply, you may not be offered that place if the vacancy is filled by an earlier applicant, or the school has a continuing interest (waiting) list.


Appeal a decision

You'll have the right to appeal an in year admissions decision if you apply for a school and a place can't be offered because the school has no vacancies when you apply.

Fair access protocol

We use a set of principles when we consider in year admission applications for "hard to place" or vulnerable children.

This is to ensure that all children get a suitable school place and that no school is asked to take an unreasonable number of children who have a higher level of needs.

For more detail, read the full fair access protocol (PDF 439kb).

Rate this page