Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

Secondary and upper school places

Making an application

When you apply, you should list 4 schools in order of preference (we sometimes call this your "ranked" schools).

Research schools to help you make the right school preferences for your child.

This includes looking at a school's admission rules (how they work out who will be offered a place).


It's also important to think about how your child gets to school. Very few children can get free home to school transport.

Make sure your child is entitled to a place in a state school before you apply. Check your visa status if you're not a European Economic Area citizen.

How the system works

School admissions across the country

  • School admissions are coordinated by local authorities to ensure that children across the country are offered a single school place on the same day. This system is fairer, with more parents being offered one of their preferred schools earlier.
  • All applications are considered at the same time. Admission rules are applied equally, regardless of how you ordered (ranked) the schools on your form.
  • We will only use your order of preference (rank) if it's possible to offer your child a place at more than one of your preferred schools. If this is the case, we'll offer you a place at the highest ranked school possible.
  • The allocation process is automated for all community schools. Officers aren't involved and don't influence decisions. The only exceptions are when deciding whether a child qualifies for a place under Rule 2 and when allocating a school not ranked on your application form.
  • Schools and academies responsible for their own admissions provide us with a list of pupils they will offer places to.
  • We offer all places on behalf of all schools in Hertfordshire.

How you apply

You list the schools you want to apply for on 1 form, ordered by preference. You can put down schools in and outside of Hertfordshire.

If you only apply to 1 school, your child will only be considered for that school.

Schools won't know the order you rank them or which other schools you've applied for. If you appeal, the appeals panel will know because your application form and allocation letter will usually form part of the paperwork prepared for the appeal process.

You can use the secondary school application form to apply for studio schools outside Hertfordshire and university technical colleges in Borehamwood and Watford, if your child is transferring to Year 10 in September. These are schools for 14-19 year olds.

If your child is not offered a place at any of your preferred schools and you live in Hertfordshire, you will usually be allocated a place at the nearest suitable school to your home address with places still available. This might not be a school in Hertfordshire and could be a school or academy responsible for its own admissions.

School place planning

You can email us your views about the provision of school places in your local area at the time of your application.

This feedback is given to our county councillors who agree each year how many school places are provided in each area.

School place planning – find out more

What we do with your data

In addition to processing your application for a school place, under data legislation we may use your application information to:

  • contact you about related admissions and transport issues
  • co-operate with our partners in health and youth justice to improve the wellbeing of children in Hertfordshire area as required by the Children Act 2004. Information shared between partner organisations is proportionate and only given when it is necessary to help those partner organisation services
  • provide statistical data to other organisations (for example, Department for Education, academic institutions or independent researchers with a legitimate need for information for their research) or for our internal research, statistical analysis or statistical surveys only
  • consider the effectiveness of alternative admission arrangements to improve service.

All admissions application data is stored securely and maintained in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Hertfordshire online systems that are publicly available for entry of personal application data are regularly independently tested to assess risk of penetration and to guard against unauthorised entry for access to personal or any other data. This includes ensuring that the username and password access meets industry level 3 standards.

Applicants who choose to make their applications on the paper form will have their details entered directly by Hertfordshire County Council officers. We will not share personal data for admissions and transport applications with anyone except schools and other admissions authorities that require the data in order to process applications for schools within their own authority.

Academies and voluntary aided or foundation schools – extra information needed

Most academies and voluntary aided or foundation schools have their own rules.

Schools get a list of every application made for their school, but they don't see your order of preference.

They apply their own admission rules to applications and allocate places.

They may also ask for additional information on an extra form (sometimes called a Supplementary Information Form).


University Technical Colleges and studio schools

University Technical Colleges (UTCs) and studio schools both admit pupils directly into Year 10 (pupils can remain until Year 13) and, at GCSE, offer a similar curriculum to secondary schools. 

UTCs are set up by universities and businesses. They specialise in 1 or 2 technical subjects which are offered alongside GCSEs.

Studio schools have employer involvement in the curriculum and focus on developing skills for employment, involving personal coaching and work experience, alongside GCSEs.

All schools must provide impartial careers advice and guidance to all students in Years 8-13 to inspire them to fulfil their potential and ensure they're aware of all opportunities open to them. We strongly recommend that your child discusses their options with a careers advisor and considers the GCSE curriculum available at their current school.

Your child may be very happy at their existing school and can, of course, remain there. However, if you wish to apply for a place at a UTC or studio school, take a look at UTCs and studio schools in and around Hertfordshire.

Read more:

You'll find more information from individual school websites and:

Applying for schools outside Hertfordshire

If you live in Hertfordshire, you apply to us. Even if you're applying for a school outside of the county.

If you live outside Hertfordshire, you must apply to your own council. That's even if you're applying for Hertfordshire schools.

Find contact details for neighbouring councils

Children with special educational needs

All schools in Hertfordshire can cater for children with a wide range of needs, whether those needs are to do with learning, behaviour or a disability.

Children who have special educational needs but don't have a statement or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan should apply for a school place in the usual way.

Children with a statement or an EHC plan that names a specific school are allocated secondary school places through a separate process.

You can apply as usual for a mainstream secondary school place but your application will be handled by your SEN officer in the local special needs team.

You will not get an allocation letter and allocation information will not be available online.

Your child’s SEN officer will consider the information received with your child’s Year 5 annual review (or Year 4 in a middle school). You will have already received an amended EHC plan or statement, based on that information.

When that amended EHC plan or statement was issued, your SEN officer will have asked you for your preferred school. At the start of the autumn term your SEN officer will send you an amendment notice. This will show you the changes that need to be made to your child’s EHC plan or statement before they move up to secondary or upper school.

Let your SEN officer know your preferred secondary or upper school at this point, if you haven't already done so.

During the autumn term, your SEN officer will consult with your preferred secondary or upper school and send them a copy of your child’s EHC plan or statement. The headteacher has 15 days to respond.

Following this, your SEN officer will finalise your child’s EHC plan or statement and name a secondary or upper school in section 1 of the EHC plan or part 4 of the statement.

You should get this document before the end of the autumn term, in advance of the legal deadline which is 15 February in the year your child moves up to secondary or upper school

If you have any questions about this, please contact your child’s SEN officer.

Hertfordshire's Local Offer

Our "local offer" shows the services, groups and information available for parents and carers of children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).


Children taught in a different year group

Generally, children should be educated in their normal age group (that is their correct chronological year). The curriculum should be amended as necessary to meet the needs of individual children.

If you think your child should be educated in a different year group, when you apply send us supporting evidence from relevant professionals and family stating why.

For community and voluntary controlled schools, we decide whether your application is successful. A panel looks at the information you send, including:

  • the views of parents and the headteacher
  • the child's social, academic and emotional development
  • whether the child has been educated out of their normal year group previously.

There is no guarantee your application for your child to be taught in a different year group will be accepted.

If your application is not accepted, it does not mean that your child will be refused a school place. It just means that your application will be processed for the usual year group.

There is also no right to an independent statutory appeal for a place in a specific year group at a school. How a school places pupils in classes is for the headteacher and individual school to decide.

Academies, voluntary aided and foundation schools are responsible for their own admissions and they make this decision for applications made to their school.

Twins and multiple birth children

If you have more than one child applying for a secondary school at the same time, make a separate application for each of them.

If one of your children is offered the last place available at a school and you've applied for the same school for the other child or children, we'll try to offer a place for the others.

For community co-educational schools (boys and girls) and other schools and academies using our admission rules, we will offer a place to the other children.

For single sex academies that we allocate places to, a place will be offered to the other child or children unless the place allocated to the first child was offered under the random allocation procedure.

In this case, places will not be offered to other children in the family initially as this would compromise the random element of the allocation process. However, the academy may decide to offer an additional place after the allocation process has been completed.

Foundation, voluntary aided schools and academies should have their own policies. Contact the school direct. Find school contact details.

Which address to use

Give your child's permanent address at the time you apply.

If you move after applying, send us proof of your new address.

Proof can be:

  • a solicitor's letter upon completion (exchange of contracts not accepted) confirming your completion date was on or before 4 December 2017 or
  • a signed rental agreement (for at least 12 months) showing the start of your tenancy on or before 4 December 2017
  • evidence that you have relinquished ties with the address you originally declared on your application form.

You must also send us proof that you and your child live at the new address.

It's not enough to simply change your address on your online application.

We can't use your new address for allocation purposes if we receive your proof of completion date or tenancy start date (along with evidence that you are living there) later than 4 December 2017.

Fraudulent addresses or false information

We may ask for proof of your address at any time. We will withdraw the offer of a school place if we find a fraudulent address has been used.

Tell us if you move during the application process. It's not enough to just change your address on your online application.

We may also withdraw school place offers if information is deliberately withheld.

Examples of cases that will be fully investigated and applications withdrawn

  • Renting a property close to a popular school but retaining another property.
  • Living with a relative but retaining another property.
  • Renting a property close to a popular school and moving home prior to school starting in September 2018.

If a school place was allocated to an older child using fraudulent information, we won't consider the sibling rule for any children applying in the future from that family.

Any offer that has been made on the basis of false or intentionally misleading information will be withdrawn, even if the place has already been accepted or the child has started.

Children living at more than one address

Use the address where the child lives most of the time, if they live at more than one address (for example, due to parents separating).

We'll only accept 1 application for each child.

If a child lives at 2 addresses equally, use the address of the parent or carer who claims the Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit. This is considered the child's main address.

If you don't get Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit, we'll ask you for alternative documentation.

If the child's living arrangements change after you apply and they now spend the majority of the week living with a different parent at a different address, send us evidence of the child's new permanent address. We can't use it for allocation purposes otherwise.

This evidence must show that the child lives at the address and that the new arrangement is permanent.

If we receive more than 1 application with different details and parents don't agree, we'll use the address of the parent who claims the Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit.

If we get a paper application and an online application for the same child, we'll use the online one.

Contact us if your child’s address has been disputed and you have court documentation to support their current address and / or living arrangements.

Applications from outside Hertfordshire (including other countries)

We will accept applications from within the UK and abroad from families of UK service personnel or other crown servants.

When you apply, include an official letter from either:

  • Ministry of Defence (MOD)
  • Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
  • Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ).

The letter must give your relocation date and a unit postal or quartering address in Hertfordshire. We will then process your application from that address.

We’ll consider applications, and offer families a place in advance, if the application is accompanied by an official letter that declares  a relocation date but does not provide a quartering or unit address because the family will be residing in private accommodation. In these cases, if the family does not already have a permanent private address in Hertfordshire, the military base or alternative “work” address in Hertfordshire will be used for allocation purposes.

We'll also consider accepting applications from families who can show they intend to return and permanently live in Hertfordshire before the start of the new academic year (September).

  • If you're overseas and applying for a school in Hertfordshire, include evidence to show when the child will be a permanent resident in Hertfordshire. Until we have sufficient evidence, your overseas address will be used for allocation purposes.
  • If you own a property in Hertfordshire but you live elsewhere (for example, you're working abroad), we won't use your Hertfordshire address until we have proof that the child lives there permanently.
  • If you send evidence after the date for late applications, we can't take this into account before national allocation day.
  • A panel of our senior officers will make a decision and let you know within 6 weeks of the closing date (for on time applications).

Children must either:

  • hold full British citizen passports (not British Dependent Territories or British Overseas passports)
  • have a UK passport describing them as a British citizen or British subject with the right of abode
  • be European Economic Area nationals with unrestricted entry to the UK.

Addresses of UK service personnel and crown servants

We understand that families of UK service personnel and other crown servants can move more frequently.

When you apply, include an official letter from either:

  • Ministry of Defence (MOD)
  • Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
  • Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ).

The letter must give your relocation date and a unit postal or quartering address in Hertfordshire. We will then use that address.

We’ll also consider applications, and offer families a place in advance, if the application is accompanied by an official letter that declares a relocation date but does not provide a quartering or unit address because the family will be residing in private accommodation. In these cases, if the family does not already have a permanent private address in Hertfordshire, the military base or alternative “work” address in Hertfordshire will be used for allocation purposes.

Children with no fixed address

Contact us if your family has no fixed address (for example, traveller families or those living on canal boats).

Late applications

You're much less likely to get your preferred school if you apply late.

You can't alter a late application made online. Email the Admissions team if you need to alter your late application.

We don't deal with applications received after the deadline until all on time applications have been considered.

If you have exceptional reasons for applying late, include the reasons and evidence when you apply. A panel will decide whether your application will be treated as late or on time – we'll let you know.

31 October 2017 – was the deadline for applying on time.

4 December 2017 – last date to submit a written explanation of why your application was late, for your application to be agreed as on time.

31 January 2018 – applications received after this date will not be offered a school place until 23 – 27 April 2018.


On allocation day

1 March 2018
– when school place allocations were released.

We will have emailed you (if you confirmed your email address).

You can also login to the admissions system to check.

When you get your offer

15 March is the deadline to accept or decline your offer.

If you don't accept or decline, we may offer your place to someone else. We'll then offer you a place at the nearest school that still has places.

We advise you to accept the place offered so your child definitely has a school in September. This doesn't affect your chances of getting a school you prefer later, either through the continuing interest process, or through a school place appeal.