All Hertfordshire County Council in-house day services will remain open during the new national restrictions. However, capacity is reduced due to social distancing measures.
Contact your usual day service if you have any queries.
How we're keeping day services Coronavirus secure
All our register offices are open for pre-booked appointments only.
All of our register offices are still open for pre-booked appointments only.
- You must wear a face covering in any register office.
- To make an appointment to register a birth please book online.
We are still only registering deaths by phone. Call 0300 123 4045 between 9am and 4.30pm. Our busy period is 12–2pm.
Funerals during the coronavirus pandemic.
The coroner service will be running as normal and inquests will be going ahead.
You can apply online for copies of death certificates or birth certificates.
We've suspended our historical certificate service (including marriage certificates) until further notice. We'll regularly review this decision.
Weddings and civil partnerships can take place with up to 6 attendees (excluding anyone working at the ceremony).
Where possible, these should only take place in exceptional circumstances - for example, an urgent marriage where someone getting married is seriously ill and not expected to recover.
We'll be taking new bookings for ceremonies from Tuesday 2 March. Email email@example.com or call 0300 123 4045.
Maximum numbers of attendees
- Step 1 - from 29 March, up to 6 people can attend (no longer limited to exceptional circumstances)
- Step 2 - from 12 April, up to 15 people can attend
- Step 3 - from 17 May, up to 30 people can attend
- Step 4 - from 21 June, no restrictions on numbers.
All dates depend on government review of the previous step.
These numbers include the couple, guests and photographer. It doesn't include the Registrars or venue staff.
At Hertfordshire register offices...
During steps 2 and 3, maximum numbers depend room capacity:
- Bishop’s Stortford register office - couple and 10 guests
- Cheshunt register office - couple and 12 guests
- Hatfield register office - couple and 12 guests
- Hemel Hempstead register office - couple and 12 guests
- Hertford register office - couple and 12 guests
- St Albans register office - couple and 12 guests
- Stevenage register office - couple and 12 guests
- Watford register office - couple and 7 guests.
Some local health and wellbeing services will be disrupted at the moment, including health visitors, school nurses, substance misuse, sexual health, mental health and stop smoking services.
Health Walks are suspended whilst we're in national lockdown. Once restrictions ease in Hertfordshire, safe walks will continue. www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/healthwalks
Herts Fire and Rescue Service is responding to all emergencies.
We are temporarily suspending general safe and well visits for operational crews. This is to reduce the chance of spreading the virus to firefighters and vulnerable groups.
However, there may be occasions when we'll visit an extremely high risk resident. We'll assess the risk based on the questions that are answered in the questionnaire. Any visits requested that aren't classed as extremely high risk will be arranged when it's safe to do so.