Bus passes for disabled people

Get free bus travel in Hertfordshire at any time and off-peak travel between 9.30am and 11pm weekdays and all day during the weekend and bank holidays across England.

You can also ask for a companion pass so that someone can travel with you.


Before you start...

You'll need the following to apply for a disabled person's bus pass online:

  1. A recent passport-style photo.
  2. Documents to prove eligibility (depending on your eligibility code, which can be found in the 'Can I apply?' section below), dated within the last 12 months.
  3. We don't need any proof of address.

It'll take around 10-15 minutes to apply online.

You can get help with applying for a bus pass online at your local library.

Easy read guide - applying for a disabled person's bus pass (PDF)



Can I apply for a disabled person's bus pass?

You can apply for a disabled person's bus pass if you are/have any of the following, dated within the last 12 months:

Blind or Partially sighted (Eligibility code A)

  • Certificate of visual impairment (this can be from an eye specialist)
  • Proof of registration with social services.

Profoundly  or severely deaf (Eligibility code B)

  • An audiological report or aural specialist report
  • Proof of registration with social services.

Without natural speech (Eligibility code C)

  • A letter from a medical specialist
  • Personal Independent Payments (PIP) - Letter from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) where you have been awarded at least 8 points for the 'communicating verbally' activity.

A disability/permanent injury which affects ability to walk (Eligibility code D)

  • A blue badge
  • Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (minimum of 12 months)
  • War pensioners mobility supplement (minimum of 12 months)
  • Medical evidence of your walking disability
  • Personal Independent Payments (PIP) - Letter from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) where you have been awarded at least 8 points for the 'moving around' activity
  • Enhanced rate PIP for mobility.

Does not have arms/long-term loss of use of arms (Eligibility code E)

  • A letter from a medical specialist/doctors report
  • A letter from the NHS Artificial Limb Unit.

Note: A medical assessment may be required.

A learning disability from childhood (Eligibility code F)

  • Proof of registration with social services.
  • If not registered with us, medical evidence of a difficulty in learning
  • For children – tell us if you have an Education Health and Childcare Plan (EHCP).

Would be refused a driving licence due to physical fitness i.e. epilepsy or severe mental health (Eligibility code G)

  • A letter from the DVLA indicating refusal
  • A letter from a specialist indicating that a driving licence would be refused
  • Receipt of Disabled Living Allowance (severe mental health)
  • Independent medical advice
  • Enhanced rate Personal Independent Payments (PIP) for care.

War Veteran Disability (Eligibility code H)

  • Proof that you meet the criteria outlined within tariffs 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

If you feel none of these apply to you, you can still apply and give details about the reason for your application.


When will I receive my bus pass?

You'll get your bus pass within 10 working days.


Do I need to renew my bus pass?

Yes, we advise you to make an application to renew your bus pass 6 weeks prior to your old pass expiring.

If you applied under categories E, F or H, you will not need to provide proof of entitlement again when your pass is renewed.

Can I get a companion bus pass?

You should only apply for a companion pass if you need help from someone else to travel because of a medical or mental health condition.

Please provide a letter from a social worker or medical professional dated within the past 12 months that says you can't travel without a companion.

Once you get your companion pass, you can travel alone with it on some occasions. You don’t need a separate pass.

Where and when can I travel?

You can use your pass at any time within Hertfordshire for free bus travel.

Within the rest of England, you can use your pass to get on a bus for free between 9.30am and 11pm weekdays, all day during the weekend and bank holidays. 

You can use your pass on most London buses but you can’t use it on National Express coaches, airport services, commuter coaches and tours and excursions.

Visit Intalink and Travelline for bus timetables and route information.


What happens if I move out of Hertfordshire?

Send in your pass to the address on the back and re-apply to the local council where you have moved to. 

What if my pass is damaged, lost or stolen?

It'll cost £10 to replace your bus pass. 

Contact the Concessionary Travel Team on 0300 123 4050 to pay over the phone.

It's free if you have been issued a valid Crime Reference Number from the Police.