Bus passes for older people

Get free bus travel in Hertfordshire at any time and free off-peak travel between 9.30am and 11pm weekdays and all day during the weekend and bank holidays across England.

Bus pass renewal delays

There are currently delays in renewing bus passes. We have asked bus companies to continue accepting bus passes that have recently passed their expiry date until the situation is resolved. This means you can continue to use your old bus pass until you receive a new one.



Before you start...

You'll need the following to apply for an older person's bus pass online:

  1. A recent passport-style photo.
  2. Proof of age with your date of birth clearly on one of the following documents:
    • Passport
    • Driving licence
    • Birth certificate
    • Pension letter/book
    • Letter from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) within the last 12 months
    • Medical card
    • A letter from a doctor within the last 12 months.
  3. We don't need any proof of address.

It'll take around 10 minutes to apply online.

Visit your local library to get free internet access or to scan your documents.


Can I get an older person’s bus pass?

You can get an older person's bus pass if you live in Hertfordshire and when you reach the female state pension age, whether you're a man or a woman.

You can check when you qualify with the pension age calculator.

When can I apply?

You can apply 2 weeks before you are eligible for a bus pass.

When will I receive my bus pass?

You’ll get your bus pass within 10 working days.


Do I need to renew my bus pass?

No. We'll renew it automatically and will send your new one in the post before your current one runs out. Email us if you haven't received it a month before it runs out.

Where and when can I travel?

You can use your pass at any time within Hertfordshire for free bus travel.

Within the rest of England, you can use your pass to get on a bus for free between 9.30am and 11pm weekdays, all day during the weekend and bank holidays. 

You can use your pass on most London buses but you can’t use it on National Express coaches, airport services, commuter coaches and tours and excursions.

Visit Intalink and Travelline for bus timetables and route information.

What happens if I move out of Hertfordshire?

Send in your pass to the address on the back and re-apply to the local council where you have moved to.


Damaged, lost or stolen bus passes

It'll cost £10 to replace your bus pass. 

Contact the Concessionary Travel Team on 0300 123 4050 to pay over the phone.

It's free if you have been issued a valid Crime Reference Number from the Police.