The processing of your application does not constitute permission to hold your event.
The event can only go ahead if it can be demonstrated that it is covid secure and the risk assessments have been signed off by appropriate parties.
Details of the event will be sent to the Safety Advisory Group. This is chaired by district and borough councils, with representatives from the police, environmental health, licencing and highways. They will consider your event and advise accordingly.
If your application for a road closure is processed, but the event is subsequently cancelled, we cannot guarantee a full refund for your application. So please seriously consider whether the event can be held safely, in accordance with the government's roadmap, before applying.
There are differences for each street party depending on the size. The basic rule is that they're not disruptive, they're small scale and they're free to attend.
Here are some specific conditions:
- Emergency service vehicles always need access.
- Disabled drivers must be able to access disabled parking bays.
- You'll need to speak to residents who will be affected by the road closure to make sure they haven't got any objections.
- The road closure will be valid for up to 3 days.
- You can only apply to close the same section of road once a year.
- Road closures will only be effective when signs are in place.
- All rubbish must be cleared up.
- You can't damage the road surface.
- Signs need to be clearly visible to all road users.
- If you want to sell alcohol or food, you need authorisation from your local authority.
- You can't charge people to attend the event.
- Music shouldn't disrupt local residents.
- The event can't be publicised, advertised or opened to the wider public.
If you're looking to close an A road, or if bus services will be affected, we'll need to advertise the closure in advance. Here's what that will cost.
Our team will advise you about any costs when you apply.
|Type of road||Price|
Planned event requiring advertisement
(for example, if it's on an A road or where bus services are affected)
Where no advertisement is required
Street parties or charity events (where no advertisement is needed)
Our fees cover the cost of checking, drafting and advertising a special event order for your road closure.