Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

We may be able to help if you need a break from caring for the adult you look after.

Short breaks for a few hours

You can arrange short breaks to give you time from your role as a carer.

A trained care worker or volunteer will come to your home to be with the person you care for or take them out and about.

This will give you time to do something for yourself – whether that's getting out to see friends or family, attending appointments or just getting some time to yourself.

Longer breaks

There are options available to support the person you care for while you are away.

This may mean arranging care at home or a place in a care home for the person you care for.

We can talk to you about how to get a longer break and help you plan.


How can I get a break?

Here are some options:

Carers Breaks

Turning Point are funded to provide up to 18 hours of respite care for unpaid family carers. A trained support worker will look after the person you care for while you take a short break. They will support you in applying for a carers assessment by Adult Care Services to plan longer term support.

To discuss the service telephone 01438 211185 or email:


Get a carers assessment from us

Ask us for a carers assessment if you need regular or long term breaks from caring. We’ll have a chat with you to understand your day-to-day life as a carer and we'll work out what we can do to help you.

Breaks to stay well, fit and active

Carers in Hertfordshire offer breaks for carers, so you can do something you enjoy. In the past, carers have got gym memberships, weekend breaks and even snowboarding lessons.

Breakaway for carers

Breakaway for Carers from Hertfordshire Crossroads Care (North, West and East)

Breakaway for Carers, delivered by Hertfordshire Crossroads Care (North, West and East) is a free service where a volunteer will come and sit with the person you look after for a few hours. All volunteers are trained and approved and will be matched to meet your needs.

If you are looking for support of a volunteer or would like to become a volunteer to help others, contact Hertfordshire Crossroads Care (North, West and East) and ask for Breakaway for Carers.

Contact Breakaway for Carers

Phone: 01462 455578


For more information visit:

Day services

A day service for the person you care for can be good for both of you. While you get a break, they can meet new people, take part in activities and learn new skills.


If you'd like to arrange a holiday for the person you care for, either with or without you, try the organisations in this factsheet: Carers UK - Taking a break (PDF)