Permanent traffic regulation orders – making permanent changes to your road

We use traffic regulation orders to make permanent changes to your road.

When do you need a traffic regulation order?

A traffic regulation order is needed for:

  • parking places

  • speed limits

  • one-way streets

  • vehicle width and weight restrictions

  • vehicle access and turning

  • road maintenance

  • special events.

Tell us what you think

Anyone can object to or support an order, the engineer will try and resolve any objections. The engineer's contact details are in the regulation orders.

It can take up to 18 months to process an application.

A senior director will make the final decision. This will make it legally enforceable.

Experimental orders

Sometimes we'll trial traffic orders, these are called experimental orders. We put them in place then monitor and review them.

We'll then make a decision whether to make them permanent or not.