Temporary traffic regulation orders – make temporary changes to your road

You can apply to make a temporary change to your road. This could be for emergency works or for an event.


Make sure you're following the government's latest coronavirus guidelines.

We'll not be processing postal applications or cheque payments until further notice. If you recently paid by cheque or sent in a postal application, please contact us on 0300 123 4047.

Email your application to TTRO@hertfordshire.gov.uk.
To avoid delays, fill in your application form electronically, rather than by hand.

Before you start...

You'll need the following to apply to make a temporary change to your road:

  • a plan of where will be affected
  • a plan of the diversion route.

You must make coordination checks to ensure your proposed road closure and diversion route don't affect other works.

It costs £1214 for a temporary traffic regulation order.

We'll need a minimum of 8 weeks if it needs to be advertised and 4 weeks if not. A site meeting may be needed.

You can't start any works until you have a valid traffic regulation order and permit.

Read the guidance notes for more information.

Types of temporary regulation orders

Standard traffic regulation order

These are for planned works on a road. They are valid for 18 months, if they affect right of way they only last for 6 months.

Traffic regulation notice (emergency)

You can't apply for these in advance. They are valid for 21 days and cost £717.

Special event order

These are for events to take place on a road. Find out how to apply on our street parties page.

If you have any questions, give us a call and ask to speak to one of the highways network management team:

0300 123 4047