Young people becoming adults

Young people with care needs can ask us for help when they turn 16.

When you're 16 years old, you're becoming an adult. We call this a "transition".

If you need care from us, we'll have a chat and ask you some questions about your day-to-day life. We'll work out what help you need.

We call this a care assessment.

The sort of help we can give might include:

  • help to get you a job when you leave school
  • equipment and services to help you live independently
  • housing – we'll talk to you about different types of housing so you can decide the best option for you.

YC Hertfordshire has a Preparing for Adulthood guide for young people and their parents. It covers the choices you have, how to plan for the future, and where to go if you need help.