As the highway authority, we give authorisation for any work on the highway.
Work cannot begin until the Section 278 agreement is completed and a bond (if necessary) is secured.
Work on the public highway can only be undertaken by a contractor that we approve.
As the local highway authority in Hertfordshire, we provide a free assessment of contractors that want to undertake works on the public highway.
How to apply
Email us a copy of:
- your valid CHAS Certificate and a covering letter. You must be CHAS approved.
- a copy of your £10million Public Liability Insurance
- Proof of experience of working on the Highways
- 2 references.
Do I need to be approved for s278, s38 and s50 works?
Yes, you must be approved by us to carry out these works on the public highway.
Even if we've approved you, you still need to get a Section 50 licence.
What constitutes breach or removal from the list?
- Breach of any Highway related current Legislation, i.e. The Traffic Management Act, New Roads & Street Works Act and The Highways Act.
- Failure to comply with current Safety at Street Works and Road Works (CoP).
- Working on the highway without the required agreement or a permit being in place.
- Repeated poor quality work.
- Use of a non-approved sub-contractor.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our guide gives detailed design advice on road improvements made by the county council, its agents, developers or any other third party.
As well as setting out advice relating to the layout of roads and other highway features in Hertfordshire, the design guide describes the standards that must be met before adoption of highways can take place.