The change of use of a property, for example from office to dwelling house, is subject to a prior approval process which is dealt with by the local district or borough council.

Following changes to permitted development rights under The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015, the change of use from office (Use Class B1) to dwelling house (Use Class C3) is included under permitted development and does not require planning permission.

Waste is not one of the prior approval listed requirements, but we encourage developers or applicants to consider the waste provisions on site and adequate storage facilities for the collection of recyclables and local authority collected waste.

The change of use will result in a change in the type of waste being produced on site, for example, office waste as opposed to residential household waste.

Waste storage requirements are referred to in H6 Solid Waste Storage of the Building Regulations which may be required for change of use, particularly where a building is used as a dwelling where previously it was not.