Apply for a van and trailer permit
Apply online for a free, instant permit to use a van or trailer to dispose of waste from your home at your local household waste recycling centre (tip).
You can't bring waste from businesses, charities or other organisations to our household waste recycling centres. Use our commercial waste disposal centre instead.
We're replacing paper permits with digital permits
Digital permits are emailed to you instantly.
If you use a green or white paper permit at a household waste recycling centre, we'll let you dispose of your waste, then we'll take your permit and ask you to re-apply for a digital one.
If you have a pink paper permit, you can keep using it until Sunday 28 October.
From Monday 29 October, we will only accept digital permits.
What you'll need to apply online
An email address
If you don't have one, please phone the Amey call centre on 0300 123 4051 and select option 1 to apply for a permit, which will take up to 5 working days to arrive in the post.
When you apply online, we'll provide a temporary password so you can log in to check how many visits you have left, when your permit expires or to update your details.
You'll need to change it the first time you log in to your account.
Your password must contain at least 8 characters, including uppercase and lowercase letters, a number and a special character (like an exclamation mark).
How long the permit lasts
The permit is valid for 12 visits within a 12 month period. There are no exceptions to this rule. Only one permit is allowed for each household.
You can renew it every 12 months.
Borrowed or hired vans
Borrowed vans - You'll need to borrow the related permit. Your visits will be recorded on this permit.
Hired vans - you'll need to bring a van permit and proof of your hire agreement on every visit, or you won't be allowed to tip your waste.
Vehicle and waste restrictions
Please read our restrictions on construction, demolition and excavation waste before you visit or you may be turned away.
There are no height restrictions at any of our centres.
Car / people carrier
Car and trailer
If you don't live in Hertfordshire
You can still apply for a permit, as long as it's household waste from your own home.
What to do when you turn up
When you arrive, report to an operator at the centre. They will check your waste and your permit, then record your visit digitally.
Lost or stolen permits
Phone: 0300 123 4051 and press option 1
For a change of details, you'll need your current permit reference number.
Terms, conditions and privacy
Terms and conditions - van and trailer permits
- This permit remains the property of Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) and Amey, working in partnership with HCC.
- The household waste recycling centre (HWRC) site customer rules must be adhered to at all times. Failure to do so may result in your permit being revoked.
- When requesting a permit, you will be required to agree to the legally binding terms and conditions of the van permit scheme.
- The van permit is valid for 12 visits in one year, from the date of issue.
- A household may only hold one permit at a time. If there is more than one van at your property you will need to decide which one to register.
- The details held on your van permit must match the registration of the vehicle you are driving.
- Once all 12 visits have been used, you will not be able to reapply for a new permit until the expiry date has been reached. There are no exceptions to this.
- If you visit a site more than once in a day, each visit will be counted separately and your permit marked accordingly.
- You can loan your van to a friend or relative, however each visit will be counted against your permit allocation of 12 visits per year.
- If you’re using a hire van, you will still need to apply for a permit and bring your hire agreement with you to the HWRC.
- We will not tolerate any verbal, physical abuse or bullying towards any of our site staff. Our enforcement policy sets out what action we will take when visitors behave inappropriately.
- A van permit does not entitle the holder to bring unlimited amounts of construction, demolition and excavation (DIY) material to the sites. Please make yourself familiar with our construction and demolition waste policy before you load your vehicle. None our HWRCs accept asbestos.
- Waste will be checked upon arrival and the site operators have the right to turn away anyone suspected of bringing commercial, industrial or excessive DIY waste on to site.
- You may be asked to sign a Waste Declaration Ticket to confirm the waste is from your own home.
- The site manager reserves the right to refuse a tip if it does not comply with the construction and demolition policy or if the material is suspected as being commercial waste. The site manager’s decision is final.
- Our van permit is not valid for commercial use and business addresses will not be accepted.
- Vehicles wishing to deliver charity or voluntary group waste cannot apply for a van permit under the van permit scheme.
- The permit must not be copied, changed or defaced in any manner. If it is, your permit may be revoked.
- If you change your address, you must update your details online.
- HWRCs operate an automatic number plate recognition scheme and are monitored by CCTV and Body Worn Video cameras. For more details see our WasteAware strategy.
- HCC reserves the right to withdraw individual permits in cases of misuse and abuse by the holder. HCC will notify you of its decision in writing to the address given at the time of application.
- HCC reserves the right to amend the operation of the HWRC permit scheme, including these terms and conditions at any time without notice.
How we use your data - van and trailer permit applications
By completing the permit form, you give consent for Hertfordshire County Council to use the information that you shared with us to administer your van permit.
Your information will only be used for this purpose and will only be held for the lifetime of the permit and 12 months after your permit expires.
The personal data requested are:
- email address
- phone number
- vehicle registration
- vehicle make, model and type
- if the vehicle is owned or hired.
This information is required for account registration and permit verification purposes. This will also allow the user have access to their information and update when needed.
Find out more
Please contact our contractors, Amey.