Apply for a van and trailer permit
You can apply online for a free permit to use a van or trailer to dispose of your household waste at your local waste recycling centre (tip).
You can't bring commercial waste to our household waste recycling centres. However, you can use our commercial waste disposal centre instead.
Terms, conditions and privacy
Terms and conditions - van and trailer permits
- This permit remains the property of Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) and Amey, working in partnership with HCC.
- The household waste recycling centre site rules must be adhered to at all times. Failure to do so may result in your permit being revoked.
- When requesting a permit, you will be required to agree to the legally binding terms and conditions of the van permit scheme.
- The van permit is valid for 12 visits in 1 year, from the date of issue.
- A household may only hold 1 permit at a time. If there is more than 1 van at your property, you will need to decide which one to register.
- The details held on your van permit must match the registration of the vehicle you are driving.
- Once all 12 visits have been used, you will not be able to reapply for a new permit until the expiry date has been reached. There are no exceptions to this.
- If you visit a site more than once in a day, each visit will be counted separately and your permit marked accordingly.
- You can loan your van to a friend or relative, however, each visit will be counted against your permit allocation of 12 visits per year.
- If you’re using a hire van, you will still need to apply for a permit and bring your hire agreement with you to the recycling centre.
- We will not tolerate any verbal, physical abuse or bullying towards any of our site staff. Our enforcement policy sets out what action we will take when visitors behave inappropriately.
- A van permit does not entitle the holder to bring unlimited amounts of construction, demolition and excavation (DIY) material to the sites. Please make yourself familiar with our construction waste policy before you load your vehicle. None our recycling centres accept asbestos.
- Waste will be checked upon arrival and the site operators have the right to turn away anyone suspected of bringing commercial industrial or excessive DIY waste on to site.
- You may be asked to sign a Waste Declaration Ticket to confirm the waste is from your own home.
- The site manager reserves the right to refuse a tip if it does not comply with the construction waste policy or if the material is suspected as being commercial waste. The site manager’s decision is final.
- Our van permit is not valid for commercial use and business addresses will not be accepted.
- Vehicles wishing to deliver charity or voluntary group waste cannot apply for a van permit under the van permit scheme.
- The permit must not be copied, changed or defaced in any manner. If it is, your permit may be revoked.
- You must notify us if you change your address – call 0300 123 4051 (Option 1).
- Recycling centres operate an automatic number plate recognition scheme and is monitored by CCTV and Body Worn Video cameras. For more details see our WasteAware strategy.
- The council reserves the right to withdraw individual permits in cases of misuse and abuse by the holder. The council will notify you of its decision in writing to the address given at the time of application.
- The council reserves the right to amend the operation of the recycling centre permit scheme, including these terms and conditions at any time without notice.
How we use your data - van and trailer permit applications
By completing the permit form, you give consent for Hertfordshire County Council to use the information that you shared with us to administer your van permit.
Your information will only be used for this purpose and will only be held for the lifetime of the permit and 12 months after your permit expires.
The personal data requested are:
- email address
- phone number
- vehicle registration
- vehicle make, model and type
- if the vehicle is owned or hired.
This information is required for account registration and permit verification purposes. This will also allow the user have access to their information and update when needed.
Why is my green van or trailer permit being replaced?
Our Contractor Amey have recently reviewed their van/trailer permit scheme.
As part of this review, from June 2018 the number of visits under one permit have been restricted to 12 per year. These permits will be on pink paper and will not allow any reapplications for 12 months.
The previous green permits allowed residents to apply, in exceptional circumstances, for more than 12 visits per year. These permits are now being withdrawn and residents are requested to apply for a new pink permit.
Residents with a green permit will be allowed to dispose of their waste and recycling at the Household Waste Recycling Centre before their permit is withdrawn.
How long an application takes
You'll receive your permit in the post and it'll take up to 5 working days to arrive.
How long does a permit last?
The permit is valid for 12 visits within a 12 month period. There are no exceptions to this rule. Only one permit is allowed for each household.
Do I need a permit if I borrow or hire a van?
You do need a permit for a van you have borrowed. When completing your application, let us know the van is borrowed in the comments box. Please include the name and address of the vehicle owner.
You don't need a permit for a van you have hired. However, you will need to bring proof of your hire agreement. Without this you won't be allowed to tip your waste.
There is a limit on Construction, Demolition and Evacuation waste (C&D Policy)
What waste can I bring in a van?
You can only bring household waste from your own home. Other waste such as commercial waste, charity waste and waste from other organisations is not accepted at the Household Waste Recycling Centres.
Are there any height restriction barriers?
There are no height restrictions at any of the sites.
What do I do when I turn up?
When you arrive, report to an operator at the site. They will sign and date your permit.
I don't live in Hertfordshire, can I apply for a permit?
Yes, as long as it's household waste from your own home.
Lost or stolen permits
Phone: 0300 123 4051 and press option 1
For a change of details, you'll need your current permit reference number.
More about our permit scheme
Please contact our contractors, Amey.