Health walk leaders
Encourage people to get outside enjoying the countryside by leading short brisk walks with routes and details planned in advance.
What will I be doing?
- Leading a variety of walks on a regular basis as frequently as you wish
- Making walkers feel welcome and safe
- Researching and planning routes, and being aware of possible alternative routes
- Ensuring the necessary simple paperwork is kept up to date
- Turning up rain or shine when you have agreed to lead, or finding another leader to stand in if you are unable to attend
- Enjoying the walks and encouraging the walkers to do the same!
What skills or experience do I need?
Previous experience is not necessary as leaders receive training prior to beginning their role. New leaders will be paired up with those who are more experienced, to provide support.
How much time do I need to give?
You can volunteer as little as an hour per month, or more frequently, up to several hours per week. There are many different walks throughout the week including weekends and summer evening walks.
Where will I be located?
Hertfordshire Health Walks are in many areas across the county. The district council areas with walks include Dacorum, Watford, Three Rivers, St Albans, Hertsmere, North Herts, Welwyn Hatfield and East Herts.
What will I gain from the role?
Leading a health walk will give you the opportunity to keep fit, meet new people and get out in the fresh air. You will also be helping us to get more people out enjoying the countryside and keeping active.
Area groups also arrange ad hoc social events, ranging from barbecues to pub lunches and special guided walks.
What support will I be given?
- A free one-day Health Walk Leader Training certified by the national Walking for Health Initiative and basic First Aid training
- A health walk leader pack
- Support from your coordinator and fellow volunteers
Will I receive expenses?
You can claim travel expenses to and from training days if you are using public transport or your own vehicle.
How do I find out more?
Apply now, visit our Countryside Management Service pages, visit us on Facebook or contact us: