Materials on the highway

You need a licence before you can place building materials or equipment on a public road, verge or pavement.

Before you start, you'll need your public liability insurance certificate (minimum of £10 million).


A 14 day building materials licence costs £121. It's £53 for every week after.


Getting a licence

When we receive your application, we'll consider:

  • traffic on the street where you want the material
  • danger and disruptions caused
  • width of the road and pavement
  • access to surrounding property
  • planned or existing roadworks.

We may visit the site whilst the materials are in place to make sure our safety requirements are met.