Planting licence


During the Coronavirus pandemic we're changing the way we are working to protect our customers and our staff.

Please submit your application online and pay via bank transfer/online. Any postal applications or cheque payments will not be processed until further notice.

If you recently made a postal application or paid by cheque please contact us on 0300 123 4047.

You'll need a licence before you can plant on any part of the highway which includes all verges.

A licence can only be granted to you if you are the owner and/or occupier of the property adjoining the highway on which you wish to plant.

Before you start...

You'll need the following to apply for a planting licence:

  • public liability insurance certificate (minimum of £10 million)
  • details of proposed planting
  • proof of ownership or occupation

The application fee for each application will be £85.

Licence will be granted for a maximum of 5 years and will be personal to you as owner/occupier.

You will have a further sum to pay on the granting of this licence for an initial 5 year period and at each succeeding five year period after. To You may have further legal fees to pay on the granting of this licence, for the initial 5 year period and at each successive five year period thereafter.

All applications should be sent by email to:


For full details please see the Planting licence guidance.