Street cafe licence conditions
HERTFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
1. The following conditions will be applied to all licences. Further additional conditions may be applied to licences where necessary.
2. You are only allowed to place furniture and structures on the pavement / highway during the hours granted on your licence. Outside of these hours you must remove the furniture and structures from the pavement / highway. You must leave the pavement in a neat and tidy condition at the end of each day.
3. If you breach any of your conditions we may revoke or suspend the licence. We will give you 28 days’ notice in writing before we revoke or suspend the licence.
4. You must not cause any unnecessary obstruction of the pavement / highway or danger to people using the pavement / highway.
5. You must not allow people to gather and cause a nuisance or annoyance or danger to any person lawfully using the pavement / highway.
6. You must not play music (amplified or unamplified) or any musical instruments, radio or television whilst your licence is in operation.
7. You must not allow any excavations or indentations of any description in the surface of the highway, or place or fix equipment of any description in the surface of the highway.
8. You must not allow the use of the highway for any other purpose at any time other than during the hours permitted by your licence.
9. You must not place any furniture or equipment or advertisement on the highway that is not specified in your licence. You must not obstruct the access and exits to your premise.
10. You must ensure the licensed area and the immediately adjacent area is kept clean and in a tidy condition during the permitted hours. You must provide litter bins for rubbish as required by us. You should dispose of food waste appropriately.
11. You must remove all furniture, litter bins and other equipment placed on the highway at the expiry, surrender or revocation of the licence.
12. During an emergency you must remove the permitted structures from the highway, if instructed to do so by:
- a police officer
- a fire officer
- a paramedic
- an undertaker
- utilities companies
- other authorised persons.
13. You must remove the permitted obstructions from the highway if instructed to do so by the Highway Authority.
14. You must display the café licence at the premises so it can be clearly seen.
15. You must comply with any reasonable requests in relation to the use of the highway by officers on behalf of the council.
16. You must provide suitable barriers around the permitted area where required by us.
17. You can only place tables, chairs and umbrellas outside the premises between the hours of 8am and 11pm.
18. You must indemnify the county council against all actions, proceedings, claims demands and liability which may be taken, made or incurred in the consequences of the use of the chairs and tables and other objects and for this purpose must take out at your expense a policy of insurance approved by the county council in the sum of at least £10,000,000 (TEN MILLION POUNDS) in respect of any one event and must produce to the county council on request the current receipts for premium payments and confirmation of the annual renewals of the policy.
19. You must not charge for the use of the chairs, tables and other furniture.
These standard conditions will be applied to all café licences. In addition, we may also impose special conditions on individual licences, including:
- considerations for access to underground apparatus such as water valves, stopcocks, fire hydrants and meter chambers
- confirmation of notice sent to any person(s) residing above and to the side of the proposed location
- a copy of the licence to serve alcohol in the area (if applicable).